Nation/World

Father of Highland Park mass-shooter pleads guilty over giving son access to guns

WAUKEGAN, Ill. - The father of the man accused of killing seven people and wounding 31 at the 2022 Fourth of July parade in Highland Park, Ill., pleaded guilty Monday to seven counts of misdemeanor reckless conduct for his role in allowing his son to obtain firearms.

Robert Crimo Jr. had been charged for “recklessly” sponsoring his son’s gun ownership application and allowing him access to firearms and ammunition, even though he was aware that Robert Crimo III had threatened violence and expressed suicidal thoughts. The young man was indicted last year in connection with the mass shooting in the suburban Chicago town.

A Lake County judge accepted the plea and sentenced Crimo Jr. to 60 days in jail, two years’ probation and 100 days of public service - far less than the three years in prison he could have faced at trial. He must surrender any weapons he possesses and his firearms owners identification card, and he cannot sponsor any other FOID card in the future.

Several victims were present in the Lake County courtroom for the proceeding, which lasted barely 15 minutes. They declined to comment after it ended. Assistant State Attorney Eric Rinehart said he notified those and the other victims on Sunday that a plea was expected.

According to law enforcement, the gunman was equipped with a Smith & Wesson semiautomatic rifle and fired 90 bullets in about a minute on those attending and marching in the holiday parade. He had been planning the massacre for weeks, police said, and climbed a fire escape to the roof of a business that allowed him a wide view on the festive scene below.

Illinois State Police said two incidents had been shared with local law enforcement before a gun permit was issued for Crimo III a few years ago: his April 2019 suicide attempt with a machete and, later that year, a family member’s report that he had threatened to “kill everyone.”

ADVERTISEMENT